Monday, April 1, 2013

Sun-dried Tomato & Egg Casserole




Brunch has become by far my favorite meal these days. I can't lie that I find myself day dreaming about lazy weekend mornings that begin with brunch. Theres not much better than good food, friends and a mimosa!

On Easter, we hosted a brunch for a few friends. It was sort of a last minute decision, but it turned out to be a classy occasion. I pulled out a cookbook we got as a wedding present & began searching through for something hearty and scrumptious. I came across a sausage & egg casserole with sun-dried tomatoes. Since we were having a few vegetarian friends over, I altered the recipe a bit. It was a huge hit &  my only regret is that I didn't take any pictures of the finished product. 

Now don't think that I just left out the sausage completely. Oh no, that would just be wrong. Instead of putting it in the casserole, I decided to cook the sausages and finish them off with a cider-honey glaze. Not to call the vegetarians out, but it smelled so good that they too "had" to try a bite! [recipe to come later]

Sun-dried tomato & egg casserole

1/2 c. onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 c. sun-dried tomatoes
1/2 c. mushrooms, chopped
4 T. parsley, chopped

5 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
1 c. half and half
1 c. whipping cream
2 c. grated mozzarella cheese
1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 375. Butter a 9 x 13 casserole dish (can use a smaller dish if you'd like a thicker casserole). Sauté onions and garlic. Add sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms and 2 T. parsley after 2-3 min. Spread this mixture on the bottom of the casserole dish.

Combine eggs, half & half, cream, salt & 1 1/2 c. cheese. Pour mixture into casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese and parsley. Bake until golden brown. To test, insert a knife & if it comes out clean, its ready. It took about 30 min in my oven. 

Pair it with some glazed sausage, apricot croissants, fruit salad & mixed greens & thats what I would call a good brunch! 

No comments:

Post a Comment