Scones (makes 8)
10 T. unsalted butter, frozen
1 1/2 c. fruit (I used frozen strawberries, although I'd suggest fresh fruit if possible. Blueberries, raspberries etc work too)
1/2 c. whole milk
1/2 c. sour cream
2 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. sugar
2 T. baking powder
1 tsp. grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1. Heat oven to 425 and line baking sheet with parchment paper (this is different from wax paper!!).
2. Cut one stick of butter in half and grate the butter using a box grater. Weird, I know but this is what makes them especially flaky. Place the grated butter in a bowl & put in freezer.
Melt the 2 T. of butter remaining and set aside.
3. Put the berries in the freezer if they are not already frozen.
4. Whisk the milk & sour cream together and place in fridge.
5. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, salt and baking soda. Make sure its mixed well. Then add the butter and work in with your hands.
6. Fold in the milk mixture. Do NOT overmix. Just fold until it is combined.
7. Flour the counter and your hands and start working the dough. Knead dough until its a ragged ball.
8. Roll ball into 12-inch square, then fold the both sides in (make it look like a brochure). Then fold both sides again so it becomes a square. Place square dough in freezer for 5 min.
9. Roll chilled dough out & into 12-inch square again. Press berries evenly over dough. Roll dough up into tight log and pinch seams closed.
10. Lay log seam side down, then press down so that it is no longer a "log" but rather a flat rectangle. Cut into triangular scones.
11. Place on cookie tray and brush the melted butter from before onto them. Sprinkle lightly with white sugar. Bake 18-25 min... until lightly golden brown.
They are so delicious. Will bought some homemade honey from his coworker and I drizzled a little honey on mine which was awesome! Sometimes I wish I were British. I think I'd fit right in. Scone and tea for breakfast? Who wouldn't want that?