Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Twist on the Classic Apple Pie

When I was in college, my roommate and I wanted to enter the State Fair Pie Contest. We heard about the contest just days before and frantically racked our brains for a new twist on the classic apple pie. We attempted to make an apple pie that would have the flavor our one of our favorite treats: the "apple pie apple" from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory. If you've never had one, you are missing you.

We knew that they dipped their apples in a concoction that included white chocolate and peanut butter. Unfortunately our attempt sort of failed and we decided not to enter the contest. The flavor of the pie was delicious, but the consistency was all wrong. 

I decided to a take another stab at this pie. This time it was a success! 

I started by making my own crust. Although I do think Pillsbury makes a pretty mean pie crust, homemade is always better. I actually got this crust recipe off of another blog that my sweet husband showed me. Check this awesome blog out http://serendipitousanna.com/

For the Crust:
2 1/2 c. all purpose flour
2 T. sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 c. butter (2 sticks)-- very cold & cut into cubes
6 1/2 T. ice cold water
1 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar 

First, cut the butter into cubes. I just places the cubes onto a plate and popped it into the fridge to keep it cold. Then, combine the water with the vinegar and place that in the fridge as well. Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Once the butter is nice and cold, incorporate into the dry mixture. I started with a pastry cutter since I was excited to try out a wedding gift, but to be honest, I ended up ditching it and just using my hands. Once all the butter has been incorporated (butter pieces should be no larger than pea size).  Then create a little well in the center and pour in water/vinegar mixture. Begin incorporating until you can form into a ball. Then, continue to knead on a floured surface. Once the dough is smooth and sticking together, you're ready to wrap it up. Split the dough into two equal size balls; then, flatten each and wrap. Pop them into the fridge and let them chill for an hour.

For the pie:
6 large granny smith apples (I think I used 8 normal size)
1/4 c. white sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 T. lemon juice
1 T. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. corn starch
1/3 c. peanut butter
1/3 c. white chocolate chips

Begin by peeling, coring and slicing the apples. I went ahead and mixed in the lemon juice as I cut so the apples wouldn't turn brown. 





Combine apples with both sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Let this sit for 30-45 min. Then drain the apples for about 15 min and SAVE the liquid. Pour the liquid mixture that was drained from the apples into a small saucepan. While that is heating up, add corn starch to the apples (to keep the pie from being to liquid-y).  Heat up the mixture in the saucepan and let it reduce for a few minutes. Then, add the peanut butter and white chocolate chips. Be careful not to burn the chocolate. 

Assemble pie crust and add apples. Pour the peanut butter yummyness over the apples. Then add top crust. Make sure to cut slits to allow air flow. 

Bake at 375 for about 45 minutes. Just watch the crust to make sure its not getting to brown. The peanut butter tastes wonderful with the apples & its not too strong!

The pie before it went into the oven. The homemade crust doesn't look as beautiful as pre-made ones, but it is so flaky and yummy. 





No comments:

Post a Comment