Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Sausage Corn Chowder

Y'all, it is COLD! I am already beginning my annual complaining, shivering and commentating about how I hate cold weather. I realize we live in Wilmington, but if you only knew how low my tolerance is to chilly temps. You can find me in flannel pajama pants with fluffy slippers wrapped in a blanket at all times while I'm home. Since I'm cold natured, I love anything to warm me up, especially soups. This corn chowder is one of my favorite meals & reminds me of being home. I used to beg my mom to make it for me after a frigid track practice [outside!] in the middle of winter. Toast a piece of fresh, crusty bread and enjoy!

Here's what you need:
1 lb sausage-- I like to use the "hot" kind, but if you prefer milder go for it
1 med onion
1/3 c. green pepper
1 can cream of celery
2 cans creamed corn
3 c. milk
1/2 bag of frozen hash browns [the square ones, not the shredded hash browns]
4-6 oz. cheddar cheese


Dice the onion and green pepper & begin cooking in a large pan. Add the sausage & cook until it is browned. You may want to drain the sausage if it appears to have a lot of fat. I find it does seem to help to drain it slightly, but its not a big deal if you're feeling lazy. Add cream of celery, creamed corn, hash browns & milk. Be careful when adding the milk that it doesn't curdle. Bring this to a boil and then reduce heat and let it simmer, covered, for about 20 min. Basically just until the potatoes are tender. Then add shredded cheddar cheese on top. 

This soup is hearty & will warm you right up! It even freezes well so you can save some for another cold day.

No comments:

Post a Comment