Monday, January 14, 2013

Mini Chicken Pot Pies


Chicken pot pie has always been one of my favorite meals. It reminds me of being gathered around the dinner table with my family. I still to this day will not order chicken pot pie at a restaurant because I'm convinced  no one can make it like my mom. I decided to give it a try myself since I can't just stop by my parents house for a chicken pie. 

Mini pies are even better than a regular one because you get lots of crust which is my favorite part.

Heres what you'll need:
1 box refrigerated crust
1/3 c. butter
1/3 c. onion
1/3 all purpose flour
1 3/4 c. chicken broth
1/2 c. milk
2 1/2 c. cooked chicken
2 c. frozen mixed veggies, thawed
salt & pepper

1. Feel free to use this same recipe to make one regular size pie or be tempted by these cute mini pies and go for it. If you're making mini pies, cut dough into large circles and lay bottom crust down.

2. Melt butter over medium heat, then add onion & cook for 2 min (until tender). Stir in flour, salt & pepper. 

3. Gradually stir in milk and chicken broth. Let this cook and bubble until it thickens. It takes  a little while, but don't give up. It will be clear once its a thick, gooey concoction. 

4. Add veggies & chicken. Remove from heat. Spoon mixture into each little pie.

5. Finally, cut large circles for the top crust making sure to cut slits to let steam out.

6. Bake at 400 for 25 (ish) minutes. I didn't set a timer but just stayed close by and watched until it was getting golden brown. Towards the end, I covered the pie pan with foil to prevent excessive browning.

It will be incredibly difficult to eat just one, I'll go ahead and warn you. It was hard for me to save some for Will; he should feel very loved that I left him plenty. 

Its back to long hours for my sweet guy. He woke up at 4:45 am for work this morning. Heres to hoping he'll be home by 10pm tonight!



No comments:

Post a Comment