Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Winter Fruit Pie

A few days ago, we had dinner plans with family & I was to bring the dessert. I asked Will what he would like and he quickly responded with "a pie!" He then began questioning me about what fruits were in season for a winter pie. I named a few fruits and that sparked my interest so I began researching winter fruit pies. 

As I have mentioned before, I have a horrible habit of trying new recipes on other people at a party or special dinner... and yet again, I went for it. Fortunately, it was fabulous! The pears and apples give it more of the traditional taste, but the cranberries and figs really bring in a wintery feel. AND there is a crumb topping. Could it get any better? 






Ingredients:

Pie crust (or make your own)

Filling:
1 c. dried figs
2 apples (peeled & sliced thin)
3 pears (peeled & sliced thin)
1 c. cranberries (fresh or frozen)
1/2 c. sugar
2 T. corn starch
1 c. orange juice

Crumb Topping:
1/2 c. rolled oats
1/2 c. all purpose flour
3/4 c. packed brown sugar
3/4 c. pecans, chopped coarsely 
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt (I used sea salt)
6 T. unsalted butter, melted

Preheat oven to 375.

Crumb topping: Combine all ingredients, then add melted butter. It is easier to use your hands at this point-- combine everything until it is a crumbly mixture. Place in fridge while you are preparing fruit filling.

Begin by chopping off the stems on the figs, the putting them in 1 c. orange juice & bring to a boil. Let this boil for 5 min. Then, drain and let stand. Once they are cool enough to handle, cut each fig into 4-5 pieces.

In a large bowl, combine sliced apples, pears, figs & cranberries. In a separate smaller bowl, combine sugar and corn starch. Then, put the sugar mixture over the fruit and combine.

Pour the fruit filling into the pie crust, then add the crumb topping. Simple enough, right?

Cook for 60-75 min depending on your oven. Make sure to cover with foil if the crust is getting too dark.

I am already considering making another pie; you should make one too.


No comments:

Post a Comment