Monday, January 6, 2014

Moving Tips from an Expert



A few days ago, I had the realization that this upcoming move will be my fourth in less than three years, yes, I said fourth. Gah. For a kid who NEVER moved until college, this is a big deal.

Not sure if I've gone crazy or what but alas, we are moving yet again. Since I am apparently becoming an expert at this, I thought I'd share a few tips for a stress-free (ok, thats impossible but less-stressful) move. 

Tip #1: Make a friendly visit to an ABC store and ask for boxes. You may end up looking like you drink vodka morning, noon and night but hey, they are very sturdy boxes- perfect for books! --- you can see all the vodka boxes in the picture above.

Tip #2: Label EVERYTHING. 

Tip #3: I realize this is going to sound incredibly ridiculous and over the top (...but just remember this is coming from an unorganized person, so you can do it too!), color code boxes based on the room they will go in. For example, on each box I use a different color tape to represent what room the box will land in (ie: pink for the kitchen). The tape also says what room and what items, for example: Kitchen- wine glasses.

Tip #4: Recruit some friends & provide food/drinks for them. Last time we moved, I bought a bunch of Jersey Mike's subs, chips & drinks for everyone. It keeps everyone happy & is a little "thank you" for all their hard work.

Tip #5: Don't take things too seriously. No need to get all worked up- it will all get done & in place! (I'll be reminding myself that this week!) AND, plan a relaxing night in after the move. Order some pizza with a few friends and just take a break.




No comments:

Post a Comment