Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Working part-time

My boss approached me recently about taking on some extra work at school to help her out. I started doing it and have now taken over managing our school's social media. She asked me if I would be interested in doing this next year as well. (I currently teach Mon/Wed/Fri and then do the social media stuff from home). We agreed that I would talk it over with Will and get back to her.

After talking it through with Will, we both agreed; if the work was similar to the amount of work that I am doing now then I would be happy to continue, but we both felt that we needed to protect my schedule and stay on a part-time basis.

I never envisioned myself working part-time without kids and in this stage of life. In fact, I almost didn't apply to this job because it was part-time, but the Lord knows what is best for us. Part-time has been such a help for both of us. It allows me way more flexibility while Will is working to get all the things that fall completely on me done; and when he is off, it gives us two extra days to spend time together and enjoy every minute of the time when he is around. Also, it allows me the opportunity to serve in ways that I had always desired, but due to work schedules I wasn't able to make them happen.

It honestly was such a strange switch going from 40 hours a week to 20 (ish) hrs a week and I felt bad for having extra free time. I felt guilty that Will was working like crazy and I was working just three days a week, but then I saw how it improved our marriage. Will mentioned frequently how helpful it was for him that I was able to run errands and keep things in order while he was working. He also mentioned how much more he enjoyed being off when I was around to hang out. It made transitions back to work for him much easier because we knew we would at least see each other on Tuesday/Thursday mornings since I would be around & I could always pop in to set for a meal as well.

I'm sure many people think it is crazy for a 24 yr old to be working part-time when I'm fully capable of working full time, but I just have to remind myself of what works for our family. I am thankful that we are able to swing it financially and for all the positives that is has brought about for us. I don't know if this is how it will always be, but for now it is right and that is all that matters. 



Tuesday morning reading/journaling with a side of earl grey & banana muffin.





No comments:

Post a Comment