Tuesday, February 4, 2014

What I'm Reading...

A quick update on what I'm reading right now & suggestions for things to read.

I'm currently reading three books at one time which I rarely do, but its kind of fun. Let me follow that up by saying that two of the books are for group studies and I only have to read a chapter a week, so it's not very overwhelming. 

Currently my small group is reading Boundaries by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend. It was sort of an ongoing joke in my small group because people kept mentioning this book and saying we should read it. I hear it referenced a lot. Anyway, it's awesome so far & I really feel like I'm learning about setting boundaries for myself and my life. Part of the focus is that boundaries are often viewed negatively (I kind of thought that previously), but really boundaries are just a way for us to hold ourselves accountable & own up to our own feelings, actions etc. The people pleaser in me is learning a lot!

Second book I'm reading is One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. I'm only two chapters in but I am loving the way she really digs deep into what it means to live fully and joyfully in our given circumstances. It's a great book to discuss with a friend to help process all that she writes.

Lastly, I'm reading David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits and the Art of Battling Giants by Malcolm Gladwell. It is incredibly interesting & I find myself thinking of things differently already. I'm about halfway in & it's a pretty quick read so I will hopefully finish it soon. I highly suggest it! 

I just finished: The Power of Play: Learning What Comes Naturally by David Elkind. Great insight into the way that children learn and good argument against the new fads for babies & children learning devices. I'd like to read this again once we have children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment