Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Time

Over the past few days, I have been reminded of how short our time is here & how no day should ever be taken for granted. In my classes, we are talking about día de los muertos (day of the dead) and I was explaining how Mexicans use yellow marigolds to represent death and as a reminder that life is short. As I explained this to these sweet children, it really hit me that no life is guaranteed, even these young lives. Fast forward a few hours later and I received a text from one of my best friends about her six year old cousin who may have an inoperable brain tumor. Followed by hearing of a young man, just twenty-five, that passed away from leukemia, leaving behind his young wife. Life is unpredictable and incredibly short. My heart is heavy for those that have lost husbands, wives, children, mothers, fathers and friends too early. I am comforted by the fact that through Christ our destiny is secure and where we are headed is so.much.greater. 
I am reminded that we must not hold back. Words of encouragement you've wanted to say to someone for some time, today is the day. The time you've been meaning to spend with the Lord but seems to get pushed to the side? Stop that email and pray. The phone call to your grandmother, do it now. I am so guilty of putting things off. We must not wait, for each day is a gift,  and tomorrow is not a given. My hope is that I am not afraid of this, but that it pushes me to live my life differently, boldly and purposefully. We have been given this life and are called to bring glory to His name and shine His light. Let us not hold back, but rather dive in head first because tomorrow we may not be able to swim. 

No comments:

Post a Comment