Monday, October 7, 2013

Salt of the earth

I've been kind of all over the place on this blog & I'm still not really sure if theres one set thing that I want to write about (food, life etc). For now, I am going to just write what is on my heart. I've debated being completely real in this space or holding back some of my thoughts/feelings in order to not be one of those "overly Christian" blogs. I know a lot of non-Christians and I love them dearly. I want to be open about my faith, yet I am hesitant of how things appear in the eyes of a non-Christian and never want to be unapproachable. Yet, when I really think about it, I am reminded of how we are called to be the salt and light in this earth and I must not hold back for fear of other's feelings or opinions (...i have a major struggle with pleasing people, can you tell?!...). 

So instead of writing about the books we've been reading or the things I've been baking, I'm going to share whats really on my heart. I am studying the Sermon on the Mount with my small group right now. The study we are using is by Jen Wilkin and I am loving it! She is able to really break down this passage that we've heard so often, yet know so little about (or at least I knew very little). Anyway, recently we discussed Matthew 5:13 and really broke down what it means to be the salt of the earth.

"You are the salt of the earth; but if salt has lost its taste, how can its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything, but it is thrown out and trampled under foot."- Matt. 5:13

I've heard this verse a million times but after I finished with Jen's study questions I had myself all confused. As a small group we went through a few points that Jen makes about Matthew 5:13. I left small group overflowing with joy and excitement about this passage, so much that I came home and immediately began telling Will all about it. Here are a few points about salt that help better explain what the verse means to us:

1. Salt is used to preserve things:

  • When salt is used to preserve things, it has to be touching the meat. This is significant because it is a reminder to us that we must be "in the world"- we must be rubbing up against the world as salt does to the meat. It's also important to note that while salt has to be touching the meat, it is still distinctly different from the meat. The phrase "in the world, but not of the world" comes to mind. We must remain distinctly different not getting pulled into the sins of this world.
2. Salt makes you thirsty:
  • Jen asks, do others become thirsty for Christ when they look at your life? Do they look at your life and crave something? Not craving a quality you possess, but rather, seeing Christ in you and wanting Christ. Wow... that really makes you question how you're living your life.
3. Salt is common:
  • There's nothing too fancy about salt & its pretty common. In the same way, you don't need to be the most talented person to be used by the Lord, in fact, it is often the least educated, qualified, etc, that He uses. Keep in mind 2 Corinthians, where it talks about how the Lord is glorified in our weaknesses. Heard a great saying recently ... "God is not glorified in your awesomeness." The times that you feel most unqualified or lacking are when you are giving it all to the Lord and trusting completely in Him.
4. Salt has value:
  • Salt is essential to life; sodium chloride is essential for your body & if there is an imbalance it can be life-threatening. This is a pretty straight forward one. WE NEED SALT IN THIS WORLD!!
5. Salt dissolves:
  • Salt dissolves in water. We are meant to be used up in this life. We were made for hard work and to give everything for the sake of the Lord. It is important to remember that we can be used up completely in hope that another will be preserved in eternity.
So let us go out & be the salt of the earth. You may want to listen to this song if you need a little boost & wake up; I sure needed one this morning.

Also, if you'd like to do the study by Jen- you can find it here

No comments:

Post a Comment